The weeks 51 & 52 were marked by the release of the Magento 2 Developer Beta and people writing about, developing on and playing with it.
- Magento 1.X stood in the shadow of its newborn brother this week. Most folks went on to have a play with the Magento 2 Developer Beta release.
- MageWorx reviewed the 6 most popular Magento SEO extensions to determine which one offers the broadest future set. Even though they also include their own extension, it’s not that much of an advertorial.
- Meanbee wrote about the RequestAutocomplete API and how it can be used to optimize the Magento checkout process.
- Fabian published a code snippet which can be used to export Magento configuration data to an XML file.
- n98-magerun: Yireo released an addon for managing admin roles and the n98-magerun blog covered a bunch of n98-magerun addons by Peter Jaap.
- The Magento 2 Developer Beta has begun. If you have no idea what is going on, Ben Marks published a blog post with detailed information.
- The Developer Beta release was accompanied by a webinar of which we have prepared a summary. The recording is also available.
- If you have trouble installing Magento 2, we have updated our guide on installing Magento 2 with Composer.
- There is also an installation guide on the Amasty blog.
- Alan Kent is doing a great job regarding the Magento 2 PR. He wrote about Composer integration, the new Github approach, the new developer documentation and how virtualization can improve the installation process.
- On virtualization: we hosted Hadrien Collongues which explained how to install Magento 2 in 5 minutes with Docker.
- If you want to contribute to Magento 2, Ben has a blog post to get you going.
- n98-magerun2 is under heavy development. The first plan is to port all commands from n98-magerun; latest statistics show that’s done for 14%.
- Branko Ajzele shared some code to get started with Magento 2 shell script development.
- Ash Smith wrote about creating a Hello World module in Magento 2.
- Final call: if the goals for the Mage Unconference aren’t met in three days from now, the event will be canceled. Get your ticket if you haven’t already.
- Some people let the whole Magento-meta-jokes slip a bit too far!
- MageHero, a Magento developer listing, seems to be dying down. Great initiative so hopefully it gets steered in a good direction one day or later.
- …and that’s about it?! Full stomachs and family gatherings are to blame.
Those who master German, don’t forget to check out Matthias Zeis’ (he got interviewed recently) Magento-Neuigkeiten which our round-ups are based on. If we missed a module release, made a mistake or you want to say hello, let us know on Twitter, in the comments below or send us an email.