Sign up to receive email updates and to hear what's going on with our magazine!
Magento 2 has become the leading enterprise ecommerce platform utilized by over 2,30,000 online retailers. The software offers a range of flexible tools that cover your marketing, Search Engine Optimization, and catalogue-management-needs even more than it did before.
If you have worked with the previous iterations of Magento, you’d be familiar with all the features it offered. However, with Magento 2, they took it to a whole new level and created the most user-friendly and balanced ecommerce environment yet. Hence, you now have so many reasons to upgrade that it’s difficult not to!
Magento was stripped down and rebuilt from scratch to what is now a quicker, easier, and safer Magento 2 version. It not only offers improved scalability, but also some exclusive features that help users to set up a functioning online shop easily. It also improved on the administrative options that enhance the customer shopping experience.
Combined with the newly added HTML5 and CSS pre-processor technology, and you have an ecommerce game changer in Magento 2!
Here are some Magento 2 features all users can enjoy:
1) Open and flexible architecture – powered by entirely new, next-generation architecture, it provides flexibility to bring your vision of commerce to life.
2) Enhanced business agility and productivity – Magento 2 empowers its merchants by providing a more efficient experience that facilitates growth.
3) Engaging shopping experiences – Engagement is central to a seamless and personal customer experience on any device.
4) Grade scalability and performance of the enterprise – Over 50% of faster page load speed across checkout pages and catalog, performance lies to enhance the customer experience and also improve rates of the conversion.
5) Easier upgrades and maintenance – A modern and modular architecture empowers functionality provided by Magento 2, that provides scope and flexibility.
6) Secure Payments – Magento 2 offers built-in integration with payment gateways like PayPal, Braintree, and Authorize.net.
7) Backup/Rollback system – It has a very elegant and powerful system. The command line tool has handy commands. These commands can be added to the system to make backups. Rollback is another command that places the site in the maintenance mode, restores the file and the media, and re-enables the site.
8) Some handy commands:
9) Upgrading core files and its modules – Introduction to PHP based dimensions management using composer. Composers ensure that all its components maintain its expected versions. With only a single command, its third party gets updated.
10) PSR Compliance – Stands for PHP Standard Recommendation.
11) Performance – Improved its indexers, Magento 2 performance kit, Varnish caching integration, and to provide better performance and scalability, full page caching is required to the shop.
12) Migration Tool – It comes with a migration tool that helps migrate from Magento 1.9 to Magento 2.0 easily. By using this tool, one can easily log shop settings, customers, catalogs, and categories. Magento 2 makes data and settings easy.
13) Scalability – Modular architecture lets us break down the subsystem and the hosts on different servers optimized for all load types. Catalog, sales, shipping, payment, and check out can be optimized for stability, security, and performance.
14) Testing the framework – Magento 2 provides its own testing framework. There are various sections involved like integration, functional areas, performance, and the static environment. This can also reduce the bug fix while making testing easier.
These were some of its basic features. Let’s discuss the top 8 features now:
There are major changes in the Magento 2 file structure. Everything is placed under the app structure. Every module has its own directory in which you can easily access all the templates, layouts, js, CSS/fewer files of a specific module. This is definitely a big help for the module developers as they can have more opportunities for custom without changing its core site.
There are four types of directories in Magento 2:
To change the location of public and application directories, use the same technique applied to change the location of the system directory. Both these directories can be configured via config.XML file.
In Magento 1.x, core/text is used to serve as a structured book. Magento 2 now introduces a new concept of container wrappers. The containers contain blocks and render all the children. Organizing blocks will now be more intuitive by just moving the blocks and easily define the sections in an easier way.
Magento 2 no longer uses BootStrap. Instead, it uses own less and CSS in theme core. It has the publisher to find and publish CSS together with overview static files filed under the pub and directory. The publisher also supports preprocessing of files that have to be published using some preprocessors.
CSS preprocessor consists two independent preprocessors:
Key advantages include:
It’s a flexible modular Magento library that employs a set of mixins for base elements and also helps to ease theme development and its customization. Its key features include:
Magento Library helps its users to customize every element mentioned below:
Magento 2 include:
There is some improvement needed in performance and scalability in Magento 2 that include:
Upgrading and installing extensions in Magento 2 is seamless. Also, extensions in Magento 2 are lightweight compared to Magento 1.
If you are existing user of Magento then you might have cleared your doubt on upgrading to Magento 2 from the above post. The new version of magento is ultra-fast, secure and more reliable. Magento 2 provides features of scalability and improved performance along with security and maintenance.
Shara DJ is a mid-level programmer working for magento website development company, Pattronize InfoTech. My favorite playground happens to be Magento but I do like others as well. I write some technical topics in my free time. You can contact me on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.